Friday, April 2, 2010

Ajahn Brahmavamso Mahathera....Who???


            I was on the elliptical trainer at the gym last week listening to my ipod, when a cute trainer walked by and asked me what I was listening to.
“Um, oh, um, Drake,” I lied.
“Cool,” he said with a smile, walking away. Of course I had to lie to him. How could I admit that I wasn’t listening to some cool singer of the new millennium, but instead was listening to a podcast talk on Trauma and tragedy, by the Buddhist Monk, Ajahn Brahmavamso Mahathera. I’m not kidding when I tell you he is my new obsession.  I am learning so many helpful hints from his talks to get myself back on track, and his dry sense of humor is totally both appreciated and needed. Currently Brahm is the Abbot of Bodhinyana Monastery, in Serpentine, Western Australia, the Spiritual Director of the Buddhist Society of Western Australia, Spiritual Adviser to the Buddhist Society of Victoria, Spiritual Adviser to the Buddhist Society of South Australia, Spiritual Patron of the Buddhist Fellowship in Singapore, and Spiritual Patron of the Bodhikusuma Centre in Sydney. His simple and logical ways of looking at situations have really drawn me in. He covers so many topics in his different podcasts that no matter what you are coping with, you are sure to find something that you can relate to.
Some examples of his talks are: inspiration,
                                                  finding meaning in life
                                                  relationships
                                                  helping children overcome problems
                                                  self discipline
                                                 death
                                                dealing with pain
and so on, and so on………….
    
     Listening to his talks has been another stepping stone on my path to feeling like myself again.  So how did I find this guy, you may ask? I was tipped off by my acupuncturist, Lisa Quaning, who works out of The Russel Hill Chiropractic Clinic. Trust me, initially when she recommended that I listen to these talks by Ajahn Brahmavamso Mahathera, I made a face and laughed. However, while trying to find some balance and peace in my life, I tend to lean towards people that are doing well in achieving this themselves. I prefer to learn the tricks of content people, rather than having to take those painful phone calls from people who are so tangled up in their own web, that they need to lecture me about my life to make THEMSELVES feel better. 
     Now don’t get me wrong, just because I am loving the Budhist ways, I’m not going all Chrissy Snow-Rama Mageesh on you. Nor will  I be guzzling down a big glass of grape Kool-Aid anytime soon. However, I am learning to come to terms with things in life that can't be prevented, and trying to set myself on a better path of hope. If you are also looking to find an easier way, than at the very least give my boyfriend Ajahn Brahmavamso Mahathera a try. The budhists are definitely onto something, and if  you are willing to open yourself up to a little change than every little bit can help. 
Here is the link to  Ajahn Brahmavamso Mahathera site. You can also download his talks for free on itunes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment